History of Bishopshalt School
The current building within which the school is housed was built in 1858. The school dates back to 1907, when it was first established as Uxbridge County School in the Greenway. It was designed by the architect H. G. Crothall for the Middlesex Education Committee. The Middlesex Education Committee purchased the present site for £6900 in 1925 and in 1928 the school moved there. The original buildings in the Greenway became part of The Greenway School, now Uxbridge High School. On 6 October the school was officially opened by Sir John Reith, the Director-General of the BBC.
Walter Wilks Sawtell was headmaster of the school from its founding in 1907 until 1929. He remained in the position to oversee the move of the school, before resigning to become rector of Madehurst in Sussex. The school name was changed to Bishophalt School in 1930 to acknowledge it was no longer in Uxbridge. It is derived from the history of the site as for 500 years, the Bishops of Worcester rested at the grounds of the school on their journeys to and from London.
A Cierva C.19 Mk.3 Autogiro landed on the school field in July 1931, piloted by the Cierva Autogiro Company’s Flying Manager Reginald A.C. Brie, a former pupil of the school. During the Second World War, the school was used for rallies and inspections of the local Girls’ Training Corps. Randall’s of Uxbridge, a local family-owned department store, donated three oak chairs to the school in October 1949. In 1969, the school’s air raid shelters were removed and replaced by a car park. The shelters had been built in 1939 but remained because of the threat of the Cold War.
The London Borough of Hillingdon held council meetings in the school hall while the Civic Centre in Uxbridge was under construction. In 1977 the school changed from a grammar school to a comprehensive and in 2012 it became an Academy.
An episode of Jeeves and Wooster starring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry was filmed in the school grounds. The school has also been used as a filming location, for the film adaptation of Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging, directed by Gurinder Chadha, and the BBC comedy Big School.
History of Old Uxonians’ Association
Old Pupils Association was formed in 1909 and was renamed in 1928 to the Old Uxonians’ Association….